Monday, November 30, 2015

The Skeleton Tree by Iain Lawrence

He's going to go sailing with his Uncle Jack.  Anything to avoid going back to school right away.  What he doesn't understand is who this other kid is.  He's not going to have time to find out because they get caught in weather and the boat sinks with his Uncle on it.  Now these two young boys have to figure out how to survive in the Alaskan wilderness with no supplies and no love lost between them...

Delacorte Books and Edelweiss allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published January 5th so you can grab a copy then.

There are some similarities in this story that compare with Hatchet by Gary Paulsen.  I loved that book.  I'm pleased I can say I think this one is excellent read, too.

Imagine having no supplies, no place to stay, and you aren't sure what you can eat?  Being alone in the woods is a scary enough place with wild animals around.  They are lucky enough to find a cabin.  It's not in the best shape, but it is enclosed and warms up with a fire.  Of course, they have to find some matches first.

I really liked having the raven in the story.   A Chihuahua raven from Mexico told me his name was Eduardo at the Alamogordo zoo.  It was like I passed a test because I got it.  The raven in this story helps the boys stay alive.

They learn what they can eat, they try to stay away from the bear, and they hope for rescue.  They have close calls all through the story.  

If it was me, when it came time to go, I'd be the first one on the outgoing vehicle!  You'll also learn about the significance of the Skeleton Tree in this story.  It has a  fascinating history.

No comments:

Drag and Rex Forever Friends by Susan Lubner

Meet Drag and Rex, the sweet, silly best friends who find joy and adventure in the simplest places in this charming and cheery modern Frog a...